by Joan Bauer
Winner of the Los Angeles Times Book Prize
|READ / REACT / RESPOND:
- Read on your own silently.
- Read together orally with a class or a friend.
- React to what you read by noting the author's feeling and tone.
- React to what you read by discussing the characters and story.
Respond to what you read by answering the following in your ROAD JOURNAL:
- What is the setting for the start of this novel?
What is an El Train?
- Who is the main character / narrator?
How old is she?
- List other interesting characters you meet early on in this book.
- List three (3) things that Jenna is proud of and excited about in her life right now as the story starts.
- What job does Jenna have?
Why does Jenna like her job so much?
Picture and describe the Shoe Store.
What does Jenna think about her boss Murray Castlebaum?
What "nickname" does she give him? Why?
What does he teach Jenna?
What "slogan" is on a white sign above the door?
- What problems does Jenna have with her father?
How does he sound when he talks?
Why is Jenna upset?
How does Jenna deal with her father?
What does this statement mean, "Dad always made an entrance"?
What memories does Jenna have of her father and his actions?
- What is one of Jenna's most "prized possessions"?
- List three (3) areas of concern in Jenna's life right now.
- THINK ABOUT:
Does this story remind you of issues in your own life?
What similarities do you have with Jenna?
What differences do you have?