by Joan Bauer
Winner of the Los Angeles Times Book Prize
|READ / REACT / RESPOND:
Chapters 20, 21 and 22
- Read on.
- React to the people skills employed by Harry and Jenna.
- React to personal feelings about characters and situations.
Respond to what you read by answering the following in your ROAD JOURNAL:
- Copy the quote in the first sentence of Chapter 20 in your journal.
List examples of actions from the book that support this phrase.
What can you do better in this regard with your friends and people you meet?
- Who teaches Jenna to do the "Texas two-step"?
What is her initial reaction?
How is Jenna's self-concept changing?
Think of a time in your life when you did something new and how it made you feel.
- What are Harry Bender's "two golden sales rules" he shares with Jenna?
What "golden rules" do you live by?
- Write the last sentence from page 152 in your journal.
Jenna calls this "the gift" that Harry gave them.
Why does Mrs. Gladstone rely so heavily on Harry?
What does Jenna share with Harry?
What is Harry planning to do to try to "save the company"?
- What is in the envelope Mrs. Gladstone gives to Jenna?
What does this make Jenna now?
- What shocking news does Jenna receive at 2:13 a.m.?
Describe the people and feelings at the Halverston Funeral Home.
What is Jenna's personal reaction to all of this?
What "slogan" is engraved on the headstone at the cemetery?
- What was the "tone" of the many thoughts expressed at the funeral?
What was Jenna brave enough to say?
How did people respond to what she said?
Did the events in this sad chapter remind you of anything you have experienced in your own life? Write your personal thoughts in your journal or share with a friend or a fellow reader.