by Joan Bauer
Winner of the Los Angeles Times Book Prize
|READ / REACT / RESPOND:
Chapters 2 and 3
- Read on.
- React to what you read by noting the new situations Jenna faces.
Respond to what you read by answering the following in your ROAD JOURNAL:
- What is Mrs. Gladstone's reaction to Jenna's father?
How is this helpful to her?
- Who writes a note to Jenna?
What do we learn about Jenna's mother even before we get to meet her?
What is Jenna's relationship with her mother like?
- Describe Jenna's sister Faith.
- What wording does Faith use for how Jenna must have felt when their father came to the store? (p 16).
- How are Faith and Jenna different?
- What offer does Madeline Gladstone make?
- What is her "vehicle of choice"?
- Who does Jenna visit?
- List the "three A's" that Jenna is worried about.
- Picture and describe with details Mrs. Gladstone's house.
Why is it called a "brownstone"?
- Describe Mrs. Gladstone's car.
- What kind of a person does Mrs. Gladstone seem to be?
- Who is Jenna's best friend? What are her main interests?
- THINK ABOUT:
How does this remind you of a job you've had?
Do you think Jenna is capable of such a job?
Predict where you think this story is going.