Intrepid teenage shoe salesperson, Jenna Boller, needs to get out of town for the summer because of her alcoholic dad, and gets more than she imagined when she’s hired to drive her elderly boss down to Texas for a corporate showdown.
Jenna Boller is the best employee at her branch of Gladstone’s Shoes — she can sell anybody anything. But her family problems are harder to handle, and there are times when Jenna wishes she could just get out of town and take a break. So when Madeline Gladstone, the elderly president of Gladstone Shoe Stores, hires Jenna as her driver for the summer, Jenna leaps at the change — right into the driver’s seat. And that begins a cross-country adventure from Chicago to Dallas, where she and Mrs. Gladstone learn a lot about the rules of the road…and the rules of life.
- Chosen as as one of the top young adult books of the quarter century by the American Library Association.
- Winner of the Los Angeles Times Book Prize
- Winner of the Golden Kite Award of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators
- An ALA Notable Book
- An ALA Best Book for Young Adults
- An ALA Quick Pick
- A School Library Journal Best Book of the Year
- An American Bookseller “Pick of the Lists”
- A BCCB Blue Ribbon Book
- Nominated for 21 state awards