A boy who can’t run gives a town wings.
Jeremiah is the world’s biggest baseball fan and he knows just about everything there is to know about the game. So when he’s told he can’t play baseball following an operation on his heart, Jeremiah decides he’ll do the next best thing and become a coach. The problem is, there’s not much call for a twelve-year-old coach.
Hillcrest, where Jeremiah and his father Walt have just moved, is a town known for its championship baseball team. But Jeremiah finds the town caught up in a scandal and about ready to give up on baseball. It’s up to Jeremiah and his can-do spirit to get the town – and the team – back in the game.
- Winner of The Christopher Award
- A Texas Bluebonnet Book
- Winner of the Charlie May Simon Honor Book Award of Arkansas
- An ILC Children’s Choices pick
- A Black-Eyed Susan Book Award Nominee
- A Dorothy Canfield Fisher Book Award Nominee
- An Illinois 2018 Bluestem Award Nominee